I travel a day in advance to make it for hiking - what's your excuse?

This post has been read To receive auto-notifications on new posts, click here. Contact SoulBoosters here.


All you can reap when you let go of excuses



This week, SoulBoosters would like to inspire you through the hiking journey of MaryLiza (I fondly call her ML) - my dedicated and consistent hiking friend. Despite residing two hours away from Nairobi city, the epicentre of most popularly organized hikes in Kenya, she's an evergreen enthusiastic hiker. When I am looking for an extra push to keep it going, I lean in on her for some of her inspirational spirit to rub off on me, and SoulBoosters would love to introduce and share the same with you. Let's get started!

Who is ML?

I allow people to have their own version of who they meet in me, but I am sure I am an awesome person 😊. Professionally, I am a research scientist majorly working on plant breeding and biotechnology. I guess this is the background that has fueled my interest in exploring nature in the lab and beyond, bringing forth a hiker - a hobby that has lately left me with itchy feet that are only scratched in the trails. I love chess and hanging out with like-minded people.

All photos courtesy of ML


The start and maintenance of consistency in hiking

Having been brought up in the Mount Kenya region, there were so many valleys that would connect to my friend’s homes. Looking back, we would prefer connecting to our homes through the valleys to using the main roads. For some reason, they proved to be shortcuts as compared to the commonly used paths. Unknowingly, this has over timely propelled my hiking spirit and allowed me to explore nature trails, forests, hills, and mountains. The fulfillment that comes with the wholesome experience of hiking, from the mind testing games that play as you push yourself to the summit, meeting new people, the freshness of the air and every beat of my heart keeps me signing up for the next hike.


Keeping up with the early morning hikes

Haha, my journey usually begins a day prior to the actual hike. Mostly because, most of them usually have their meeting point in Nairobi (the famous opposite international house). I live 2 hours away from Nairobi city which explains why I have to travel a day before. I am privileged to have hospitable friends who usually host me and it is easy to just take a taxi the to town conveniently in the morning, for the very early ones.

Favourite Trail and why?

For this, I would be torn between The Dragon’s Teeth and the Elephant hill. Dragon’s Teeth has a special place in my gallery for its spectacular views that have awed me for a lifetime. For Elephant it offers a hike with a storyline. It gives me this feeling that the hill is sympathizing with the hiker right at the ‘point of despair’ and the proceeding is a matter of personal deliberation on your ability to get to the Tail and the Summit. The views in this trail are also to die for. I must acknowledge God’s content creation abilities, He really took His time on making the trails so magnificent.

A pun intended desperado picture😂

How else has hiking influenced you?

It has reintroduced me to me, thus being able to witness me in different phases. The fact that the journey begins in such high spirits, then somewhat fades at some point but rejuvenates when you look back and see that one single step after the other led to the success of a hike. This happens to other hikers too (which is one of the many things I like about small group hikes as they accommodate everyone in their different phases), and it has given me a chance to appreciate everyone’s journey and their coping mechanisms. And just like in Mark Manson’s Book ‘The subtle art of not giving a F*ck’, hiking has taught me how to choose struggles, in the sense that I am able to not only enjoy the summit but also find joy in the climb, which is basically all we need in coping with our daily lives.

Soul boosting lesson?

Taking one step at a time. It has always been repeated single steps that have led to a successful summit, regardless of how slow or fast one can be. The realization that one step after the other gets you closer to where you want to have really stood out for me.  Mhhh, also, I have come to learn roses are overrated. The trails have beautiful everlasting flowers that cannot match the “class” of the everlasting flowers 😁(my unsolicited opinion💁) 



ML at Lake Ellis, holding a bouquet of everlasting flowers


Advice to newbies?

It is very doable as long as your mind is at it. The mind can play some self-doubt tricks, but trust me, it is just teasing you. Just let it know you have taken it out to play and it needs to enjoy... before you know it, it will be yearning for more. 


We are hopeful we have (re)ignited your hiking passion. If you may need to contact ML, you can reach her on Instagram and Facebook






Comments

  1. Thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most welcome, and thanks for reading and leaving a comment

      Delete
  2. Very inspiring,especially to the newbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely - thanks a lot for the feedback, Peter, and for leaving a comment as well

      Delete

Post a Comment

Easy commenting guide

Easy commenting guide

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Mount Kenya: my 5-day possibility dwelling reflections

Hiking Mount Kenya logistics: the what, how, who, and reasonable cost tips

Ngong Road Forest Sanctuary: Located this hidden Nairobi gem yet?

Are you speaking to or about your mountain? A fallen hiking hero's tip that forever lives on

Buxton Tunnel: There is light at the end of the tunnel

Are there hiking spots in Coastal Kenya? Meet Mount Kasigau

When is the last time you cycled? Thrills and chills of first-time road biking

Outdoor Junkies: Your out-of-the-box Hiking Group

Elephant Hill: How eating your elephant a bite at a time is the best way