Solive Travel: Your passion-driven hiking group

This post has been read To receive auto-notifications on new posts, click here. Contact SoulBoosters here.

 

All photos courtesy of Whitney Mosingi

I first got to learn about Solive Travel in 2021 from a fellow hiker while on a trail - I admired how they knew about so many hiking groups and their unique attributes. They encouraged me to diversify my hiking experience too - and connected me to Solive Travel. This lovely group has highly expanded my hiking world and provided lots of new experiences - such a treat! And on a more personal note, seeing a lady hike leader trailblazing with such grace and energy has been a unique and inspiring experience. 


Are you looking for a self-expansion experience as well? Let's get started by getting to know both the personal and business side of Solive Travel's founder, Whitney Mosingi.

Tell me more about yourself – who is Whitney? And how would you describe your personality?

Well, I feel like I am in job interview and this is one question I really don’t have an answer to 😊 But, let me try still. I am a free spirit, an outdoor person, an adrenaline junkie and I like hanging out around people. When I am not hiking or swimming, I am in the house chilling and watching everything on TV. I try to live a simple happy life and I am drawn to nature so I try to spend as much time in nature.

Whitney enjoying one of the many treats that nature offers


How did you get to start hiking? And what has inspired you to keep it a consistent habit?

Two weeks after finishing campus, I moved out. I remember it was a huge adjustment seeing that I was always spending time with and around people in campus. To connect, I looked for a random group that was going hiking and I joined them. I must have paid KES 3500 (roughly USD 30) and at that time I can’t say I had so much money so it was a big deal. But I enjoyed that memory and it has lasted until now. I loved that every weekend there was a chance of meeting new people. I loved the new trails and the different challenges. With time, it became quite addictive and well, I don’t remember a weekend I haven’t hiked since then.

From all the hikes you’ve been on, which is your favourite trail, and why?

It’s hard to say as I have done so many, I lost count. But I must say the first time I did Mt. Kenya, it was magical. Five days away from everything and needless to say, that mountain is beautiful. It was so life-changing and I loved the fact that for 5 days I didn’t check my phone, I didn’t worry about normal things and my mind felt at peace. My body really betrayed me but my mental attitude was so strong that I got to the summit. This is when I knew this mountain did something to me. The first time I did Mt. Kilimanjaro was life-changing as well. Aside from the memories you create, you usually feel so proud of yourself for having summited the highest mountain in Africa.



Beyond the physical benefits of hiking, how else has hiking influenced your life? On a soul-level, has there been one soul-boosting lesson that has stuck out the most for you from your various hiking adventures?

Ahh, I don’t hike for the physical benefits of hiking - I really don’t. I am a social hiker I would say. I am now learning intentional meditation so that I really connect with nature. Hiking does a lot of mental good to you and I would really recommend everyone to come on this beautiful journey. You will learn how mentally strong you are on the trails, you will learn your patience levels, etc.


When you hike, you also meet a lot of amazing people. Unlike other activities, hiking gives you about five to eight hours to know people and talk to them as we spend the whole day hiking. If you want to grow your networks, this is how to do it.

When did you get to start Solive Travel? And is it a solo business or who else partners with you?

I started Solive Travel in August 2020 at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. I believe God planned that, as everything aligned and so many people signed up for the hike and have continued to sign up to date.

Solive Travel is currently a solo business. I however have never felt alone because of everything I have achieved - I owe it to the people who know me. They have really come through for me and I am forever indebted. I also have a lot of help from the amazing people I work with - from our photographer to the clients.

          What inspired the name Solive Travel?

Uhhm, when I started my first choice was Soul travel. I can’t say why, it sounded simple and deep to me. When I tried registering it on e-citizen (the online platform for accessing the government of Kenya's services), it was rejected and since I had already bought a domain with that name, I wrote alternative names almost closer to that. Solive Travel was the fourth choice and I guessed that name ... but as the universe would have it, that is what e-citizen picked, and so here we are. It has grown on me and I love it.

What would you say is the most unique aspect(s) about Solive Travel – what makes you stand out from the rest in the hiking business?

I would say I stand out because I am intentional about being consistent. I also offer about two to four hikes every single weekend to different destinations in the country.

For me, Solive Travel is more than a business, it is my hobby. I would still do it even if I was not making a single cent from it. I really love it and I try to connect with all my clients. I give it my best and I believe that is enough. I feel it is unique because it is really driven by passion and if you do something out of passion, it is more sustainable.

Where can we get a calendar of upcoming hike events that you offer?

To access Solive Travel's 2022's first half year calendar, click here


Do you cater to both newbie and seasoned local (Kenyan) hikers in your planned hikes? If so, could you give us a flavour of hikes that are coming up in the next one month or so for (i) newbies, and (ii) seasoned hikers?

Oh yes, we have such a diverse calendar that caters for both newbies and avid hikers. We have hikes in different locations and we have different difficulty levels for the hikes.

We love the North so we will be heading to Chalbi desert at the end of this month and we really can’t wait. We also have Chyulu hills overnight trip coming up and can’t wait for that as well. Apart from those, we will be going to Aberdares and also chasing waterfalls around the country.


Whitney chasing a waterfall


What one advice would you have for someone looking to incorporate more hiking and other physical activities in 2022?

Just start. Period.

Don’t overthink. Don’t sleep on it. Book that trip and go. It will be the best decision you’ll ever make in your life.

Do you also cater for international (non-Kenyan hikers) as well? If so, one common trip most liked is Mount Kenya – what is unique about Solive Travel's Mount Kenya trips?

Yes, we have a lot of international clients. They really enjoy Kenya and I find that it is mostly our responsibility to show them all aspects of this country. Most of them love the higher altitude hikes and most really love doing Mt. Kenya because it is the most beautiful mountain in the continent.

 


One of the many beautiful mountain lakes at Mt. Kenya

As we wind up this passionate chat, we hope Solive Travel has (re)ignited your passion for the outdoors - we are looking forward to connecting with you in person on the trails soon!

Comments

Easy commenting guide

Easy commenting guide

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Mount Kenya: my 5-day possibility dwelling reflections

Hiking Mount Kenya logistics: the what, how, who, and reasonable cost tips

Buxton Tunnel: There is light at the end of the tunnel

Ngong Road Forest Sanctuary: Located this hidden Nairobi gem yet?

I travel a day in advance to make it for hiking - what's your excuse?

Are you speaking to or about your mountain? A fallen hiking hero's tip that forever lives on

When is the last time you cycled? Thrills and chills of first-time road biking

Elephant Hill: How eating your elephant a bite at a time is the best way

Outdoor Junkies: Your out-of-the-box Hiking Group

Are there hiking spots in Coastal Kenya? Meet Mount Kasigau