Are early morning hikes a challenge? Tips from a hiker in a traffic-heavy area

This post has been read To receive auto-notifications on new posts, click here. Contact SoulBoosters here.



Is making it for early morning hikes standing in the way of 

keeping up with  a regular hiking schedule... and 

... experiencing unique moments?


A friend was recently keen to get to start hiking more regularly, but their practical challenge was how to make it to Nairobi Central Business District (CBD) by 5am or even 6am, given that they live along Mombasa Road (while only about 20km from Nairobi CBD, this area is known for its notorious traffic, which is worsened given there’s currently also ongoing road construction, making travelling on that route a pain for most). I told my distressed friend ''No worries - I understand you - I have another friend, Njambi Wainaina, living along Mombasa Road too - she impresses us with making it for the 4.30am hikes even earlier than most of us...I always tell Njambi when I have another friend coming from her route struggling to make it for early morning hikes, i'll make the connection so she can unleash her secret'' - well, Njambi was more than willing to share some nuggets with SoulBoosters readers so it may be of benefit to many more - both aspiring and the pausing hikers ... without any further ado, here is a rendition of how our conversation unfolded.


Who is Njambi?

I am a young, amazing and energetic person who still identifies as a youth 😎For capitalism purposes, I am an advocate of the high court, a youth coordinator and consultant in an organization called ATF( AT the fore front) and I also work for Equity Bank - yes, I wear many hats. This economy is no joke πŸ˜‚

Onto the fun part now, I love the outdoors, I am an adrenaline junkie. I recently bungee jumped and looking forward to sky jump and other activities as well. 



I also enjoy hiking - conquering and challenging myself brings me joy. I am an ambivert, that is both or either extrovert and introvert depending on the energy of the day and the people that I am with. I love reading and learning new things learning has no end. I am self driven and like helping people where I can.


How did you start hiking, and how have you managed to keep up the consistency?

As a young child, my father always took my younger brother and I on long walks in the neighbourhoods to teach us various lessons and looking back, it must have been then when my interest in hiking grew. I have always enjoyed walking, without the scorching heatπŸ˜‚, and I have found that it is an amazing way of catching up with friends, such as at Karura forest and the Arboretum



I like to meet with my friends and catch up since everyone is adulting and meeting up is not as frequent. My friends actually joke that it is easier to look for me in the trails and any plans consisting of hiking will definitely guarantee my presence than anywhere else. Therefore, incorporating hiking into my life has made it easier to be consistent.

Mhh..now to your secret - how do you manage to keep up with the early morning hikes?

This one is definitely not easy since it involves waking up early, mostly around 3.30am to prepare and leave at 4am so as to make it on time. Mostly these hikes are on Saturdays, and you mostly want to sleep in after a tiring week and especially myself who battles  Mombasa Road traffic  (I stay at Syokimau) - the commute to and fro requires dedication.

I also have a reliable taxi guy who stays near home and it therefore makes planning easier. Thankfully, there isn’t  much traffic at  those ungodly hours and i'm able to make it on time. However, I try not to over-do these morning hikes because my weeks are tiring and energy sapping so I need to balance as well and rest. Listen to your body. The trails are going nowhere.

Which is your favourite trail, and why?

While I have predominantly been hiking with Lets Drift,  I have hiked with other groups as well. It would be hard to pick a favourite since each trail has its own moments. 

Forest trails are a great reminder to be in nature and simply revel in the moment - they provide calm moments to relax your body and mind from the busy routine of everyday hustle. 



Aberdares trails help push your limit and challenge yourself and you learn a great deal about your body, such as how it responds to altitude changes.



If I was to pick just one, it would be Mount Ololokwe in Samburu. We started the hike at 3 am when it was cool since the area is quite hot and summitted just before sunrise. We actually experienced the majestic beauty of the sun as it reported for duty and lit the land from the summit top. It was a beautiful experience.

How else has hiking influenced your life?

Beyond the physical benefits, it has helped my mental health a lot. Hiking is my go-to when I feel like I need to recharge, or make decisions. It is my happy place. 



Socially, It has helped me meet amazing people on the trails that I learn so much from and just open my horizons. You grow when you meet different people that you also share similar interests with. It is never just the same routine experience on the trails.

Could you share one soul-boosting lesson the trails have taught you so far?

Humility. One thing that we all joke about the mountain is that it decides whether  or not you will make it to the top. You have to beseech it as you start for a favourable experience. Anyway I recently suffered altitude sickness on Table mountain while descending and it was not an easy experience since I threw up for the first time on the trails. Previously, I had always been over-confident with my body's ability to take on any challenge but the experience humbled me. You learn things about yourself as well and the humanity in fellow hikers willing to help you all the way till all are safe - the community sense of hikers is also humbling.

What advice would you have for newbie hikers?

Just start. You do not have to cajole your friends so that you can attend a hike. Just show up because you will meet other hikers who already enjoy hiking and you learn a lot from each other as you test your body and build endurance and discover the magic of the land, and hey, maybe make new friends too😎

As we wrap up, we hope you've picked some tips to enable you to maintain consistency on the active lifestyle lane. 


Need any clarifications from Njambi? Click here to contact her.


Are you facing any other obstacles you'd like help with so you can start (or keep up with) moving to boost your health and wellbeing in its entiretyIf so, do share in the comments section below or use the contact form below.










Comments

Easy commenting guide

Easy commenting guide

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Mount Kenya: my 5-day possibility dwelling reflections

Hiking Mount Kenya logistics: the what, how, who, and reasonable cost tips

Ngong Road Forest Sanctuary: Located this hidden Nairobi gem yet?

Buxton Tunnel: There is light at the end of the tunnel

I travel a day in advance to make it for hiking - what's your excuse?

Are you speaking to or about your mountain? A fallen hiking hero's tip that forever lives on

When is the last time you cycled? Thrills and chills of first-time road biking

Elephant Hill: How eating your elephant a bite at a time is the best way

Outdoor Junkies: Your out-of-the-box Hiking Group

Are there hiking spots in Coastal Kenya? Meet Mount Kasigau