Outdoor Junkies: Your out-of-the-box Hiking Group

This post has been read To receive auto-notifications on new posts, click here. Contact SoulBoosters here.

 

All photos and videos courtesy of Lucy Mwambia

I got to know Lucy when I was preparing for Mt. Kenya – I saw her encouraging Mt. Kenya post and pictures on Facebook and requested advice, especially on tips to avoiding altitude sickness – and they worked like a gem. Since then, we have had common online groups where we have been interacting, and her prowess and ‘out-of-the-box’ perspectives have been enlightening. For example, I learned about the new Table Mountain route she embarked on recently with her team, among other new and fresh ideas. SoulBoosters would love to introduce you to Lucy as well. Here’s what our conversation was about.

We'd love to know more about you - who is Lucy Mwambia?

I am a fitness enthusiast and I have a passion for whatever might be classified as exercise. This is to say that I am an all-around athlete - I run, hike, and lift weights. This is something I discovered at the age of 36 years when I almost got sick from diabetes and depression because of being overweight out of bad eating and life’s stress. One day I just decided to change what I didn’t like about myself. I started with shaving my head completely bald – brother, don’t joke with women who have just decided to cut their hair…. it’s a very serious decision 🤣.In a span of 9 months, I had shed 23 Kgs and I never looked back. I am also an extrovert - I thrive best being around people. 

 

Revamped Lucy enjoying the best of the outdoors

How did you get to start and still keep up hiking? 

Our trainer at the gym that I used to train at used to organize once-a-month hikes so we used to hike as a hobby and as a gym group. I became too addicted to stop.

From all the hikes you've been on, which is your favourite trail, and why?

Every trail has its own uniqueness and experience. For example, I have hiked Elephant Hill so many times yet the experience is different every time. 

Lucy at Elephant hill summit

I currently don't have a favourite one. I am just happy scaling summit after summit!


How else has hiking influenced your life?

During hikes, I meditate a lot - I feel closer to God. I have also re-invented myself... learned more about who I really am. Also, it's during hiking that I have made almost all my life-changing decisions. 

It's easy to see how the serenity of the outdoors boosts not only the body but also the mind and soul

What inspired you to start Outdoor Junkies?

When I started hiking I used to post my activities a lot on social media so many people contacted me so that I could take them to these hikes...eventually, I had a big following and that's how Outdoor Junkies was born.

Some of the founding members of Outdoor Junkies

When did you get to start Outdoor Junkies? And is it a solo business or who else partners with you?

 After our gym closed, we all parted ways but I never stopped hiking, so in 2018 I went solo as a sole proprietor in the hiking business so yes, it's a business. 

What inspired the name Outdoor Junkies?

The addiction...this happened (and still happens) to everyone who hiked with me. It only took just one hike and bam! They never turned back 😄. We then started calling ourselves junkies hence Outdoor Junkies.

 

Outdoor Junkies at Mt. Kenya

What makes Outdoor Junkies stand out from others in the hiking business?

Outdoor Junkies is able to incorporate all hikers at different levels in our calendar.  We cater to the extreme hikers, commonly referred to in Kenyan slang as ‘ninjas’ or ‘team Subaru’, who are out to challenge themselves. We also cater to people who are taking baby steps into these excursions.

Where can we get a calendar of hike events that you offer?

Our operations got disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic so we haven't completed our website yet but we have our calendar(s) available upon request - please also see below a snapshot of our first half 2022 activities:

Here is a snapshot of our activities - both recently past and upcoming ones

Do you cater to both newbie and seasoned hikers?

For the seasoned hikers, that is, the Outdoor Junkies mother group, we have a 6-month calendar.  The reason we do this is so that whenever our guides come up with new trails in between the year, we are able to slot them in very fast. On 5th March 2022, we have Rurimeria as our last preparatory hike as we are hiking Mt. Kenya between 11th and 13th March 2022. If you had also done preparatory hikes in advance, you’re welcome to join us for the Mt. Kenya hike.

 

Outdoor Junkies at Mt. Kenya summit

For the beginner level, we go on selected low-altitude hikes, such as Ngong hills and Kilimambogo (which is slotted for 12th March 2022).

 

Here's a snapshot of what to expect on the Kilimambogo trail

The third calendar is a customized one. I have been contracted by a certain company to do a 12-month calendar and I actually run it. The first hike is to Ngong hills on 5th March 2022.

I also organize private hikes. For instance, I take a certain family to hikes every alternate Sunday but this we pick at random so we don't run a calendar for this.

What one piece of advice would you have for someone looking to start out hiking or any other physical activity?

Having a packed weekend is great. Take the first step. Other than avoiding lifestyle diseases, there is a myriad of benefits derived from hiking or outdoor activities generally. Talk of networking, business connections, making friends, connecting with nature, etc. Hiking also teaches one to scale up their level of resilience.  Every step you make teaches you to hang on, stay strong, and know that the next step you make is what leads you to the summit, literally speaking!

 


I would also urge parents to involve their children in outdoor activities so that their weekends are spent away from the TV and the internet in general. This will not only curb obesity in children but will also reduce their exposure which we all know how adversely has affected our young ones.

 

A young one enjoying a hike with Outdoor Junkies

Do you also cater to international (non-Kenyan) hikers? If so, one trip most liked is Mt. Kenya - what is unique about Outdoor Junkies' Mt.Kenya trips?

This is where we know Kenya is beautiful.  Mt. Kenya humbles you and requires resilience and togetherness as a team because most times one feels helpless. At Outdoor Junkies, we become one -  a family, our brother's and sister’s keeper.

Outdoor Junkies' team mentality in action

As we wind up the engaging conversation, I hope you have seen the diversity of activities that Outdoor Junkies organize. While we say goodbye here online,  we are looking to your joining us in person on the trails soon.




 


Comments

Easy commenting guide

Easy commenting guide

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Mount Kenya: my 5-day possibility dwelling reflections

Hiking Mount Kenya logistics: the what, how, who, and reasonable cost tips

Ngong Road Forest Sanctuary: Located this hidden Nairobi gem yet?

Buxton Tunnel: There is light at the end of the tunnel

I travel a day in advance to make it for hiking - what's your excuse?

Are you speaking to or about your mountain? A fallen hiking hero's tip that forever lives on

When is the last time you cycled? Thrills and chills of first-time road biking

Elephant Hill: How eating your elephant a bite at a time is the best way

Are there hiking spots in Coastal Kenya? Meet Mount Kasigau